Monday, March 24, 2008

The United Homeless Organization is a SCAM

Last week I was walking down the street past this guy who was soliciting money for The United Homeless Organization. (Google it, folks. It’s a scam.) The guy was sitting beside one of those giant water cooler water bottles begging for change “for the homeless”. I walked by with my coffee from Starbucks, a short coffee, which costs a $1.73, and this glorified beggar starts heckling me, ”Come on lady, seriously? You’ve got five bucks for a coffee from Starbucks but you can’t donate to the homeless?”

Not a good move on his part.

1) The United Homeless Organization keeps only $15 of the money each “volunteer” begs. The “volunteer” keeps the rest.

2) I donate to the Coalition For The Homeless, an actual charity that helps homeless people. I donate by writing a large check and not by throwing a hand full of pennies in a stolen water cooler bottle.

3) I am able to donate because I WORK a JOB. I don’t beg on a corner and ask for chump change. But then again, this guy is clearly a still-practicing bum, as I witnessed when one person was walking by and Mr. Hobo said, “If you’re not going to help the homeless can you at least donate a cigarette to me?”

4) Cigarettes are $7.50 a pack in Manhattan. But the bum didn’t harsh on the cigarette-giver for spending that money on smokes. I guess if I had brought Mr. Hobo a cappuccino he wouldn’t worry about how much I spent on my coffee and not on his “charity work”. (The primary charity clearly being himself.)

5) Sitting on the corner begging for change while wearing a red UHO T-shirt does not make it a higher-level of begging. It is still begging, especially when you’re begging for cigarettes.

6) The hobo told me, “I’m the top-earner for UHO.” No, dude, you give the UHO $15 so you can legally beg. You’re the top earner for YOU, hobo, not for the organization. You are a bum.

7) There are better ways to separate people from their money than by insulting their choice of coffee. We get insults for free here in New York City.

8) After being heckled by Mr. Hobo, a nice young guy came up to me and said, “That was really rude of him. There’s nothing wrong with drinking Starbuck’s coffee. Starbucks is the best place I’ve ever worked. I love it there. The company donates to lots of charities, too.”

9) Not every homeless person is a bum, but every free-loading bum is a low-life who is too lazy to keep a job.

And, after laying out my opinions for “Mr. Hobo the selfish bum” I realized:

10) You don’t need to explain yourself to a bum. He doesn’t care about you. He just wants your money.

I look forward to hearing your stories of immense personal struggle, and will continue to inspire you .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good morning ms. sandra o'day. it is sad that a uho worker would insult you. you see i'm a uho worker. my goal is to work the table to get back on my feet due to situations beyond my control. Now the worker does get the greater portion, but that the primary goal is to upgrade himself on a daily basis. if not don't give that a***hole s**t. the worker is required to print out the information that is handed to him or her to homeless people that pass the tables. the table is twofold. one: on one side the homeless person passing the table is to be stopped and asked what can be done for him or her. the homeless person is instructed to the area mangers table to work a table to recieve emergency cash by Working the table. yes the're is a 15dollar fee per shift. however the worker should , in my book, be DEMANDED to have all information on the table, documentation that he or she is currently or previeouly homeless. The should show proof that they have given adaqete information the the public by displaying a service sheet with each persons name including there own. Like i said the greater portion goes to the worker, however; the worker must show signs of in proving his situation so he or she can enter back into mainstream societ. My name is vonte Vakel Johnson. I've been with the organization for 18 months and i can say if you do right and be honest with where the money goes, then people would be more generous. I was able to get a state identification card, a debit account so i can have my disability check direct deposited. I don't play to stay at the tables much longer. the table work is only temporary. it's not ment to get rich off of. it's to get you from the curb to the keys. the concept means: when you are down and out, the worker is required to bring you to the table: brush you off: get you a table to work and give infomation to other homeless people and non homeless people alike. Tell the truth. WE dont have shelters, soup kitchens, or buildings; WE tell the people WHERE TO GO TO GET shelter, food, clothing, and services to help remedy the situation and/or vice. My email is vontevakeljohnson@gmail.com or vontevakeljohnson@yahoo.com I'm sorry how that worker behaved. it puts a sore eye on the company when you have a few miscriants in the organization. my table is located on the corner of 58th street and 5th ave. if you have any rants or insults or positive and/or consructive critisizimes you need to get out please feel free so send them or see me at the above location. I will humbly accept them like a perfect gentilman. I thank you for you time a pacience in letting me explaing myself on acount that A**hole worker you rightfully call, "Mr. Hobo the Selfish Bum" I apologize also for my spelling, I was never good at spelling. please accept my deepest apologies. i bid you adiu Ms. Sandra O'day.