Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sympathy For The Devil

There are so many dim-wits out there who don’t understand that other people are just as important as they are. For years I’ve tried to change those mindless masses. I’ve tried to make the world a better place. I used to believe no one was O’Day proof. However, there are some who are so thoughtless, so thick-in-the-head, that I often feel like I’m back in solitary confinement banging my head against the cinderblock wall.

I now know the frustration born-again Christians feel when they realize they will never save anyone but other born again Christians. I understand their aggravation and their aggression. They really, really want the world to believe the same things they do! And, as Sandra O’Day, I can tell you I want the world to behave in a kinder, more thoughtful, more considerate way.

I want people to behave more like I do, just like the born again Christians want people to believe what they believe. (Behavior doesn’t seem to be as important to the born-agains as belief.)

But not everyone can be a born again Christian. And not everyone can behave in a kind and respectful manner -- as I wish the world would do. No, there will always be people who think it’s OK to break the rules, or be mean, or clip their nails in public. And try as I might, some of those people are not going to change. Just because I changed, does not mean they will. I’ve also noticed many of these unbelievably rude people are born again Christians -- and yet I feel their pain. In more ways than one.

I look forward to hearing your stories of immense personal struggle, and will continue to inspire you .

No comments: