Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Phony Sunshine

Last week I challenged my readers to keep a “Whinery,” a daily diary of their petty complaints. Why a Whinery? Why not a “Gratitude Journal?”

Why? Because I’m not Oprah. I’m Sandra O’Day, an ex-con motivational speaker, flawed with anger management issues.

I’m sick to death of everyone’s “Sunshine Act.”

I admit I am a mostly grateful person -- my apartment has electricity and clean running water, which is better than 90% of the world is doing. But I also know that the small gripes in life are the things that will give your “Cheery Sunshine Face” gangrene and force you to amputate if you don’t deal with them.

Let’s strive to be more emotionally adventurous. Let’s look at our ridiculous gripes so that our “attitude of gratitude” comes from someplace real. Someplace examined and earned. Spill the beans of your ugly over-privileged life and point and laugh. It’s good for all of us.

Otherwise you’re just spraying perfume on your perineum and calling it clean.

Get on that Whinery, folks. It’s time to share.

No comments: