Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Imposter Game

I notice that every single person I work with is playing some kind of nutty game in his or her head. I call these nutty games Head Games. There is no comprehensive list of the Head Games we all play, because there are no limits to the human imagination -- for better or for worse. Some Head Games are more familiar and common than others, but just when I think I’ve seen them all, out pops a new monster from Pandora’s box.

Success brings on a whole new clump of Head Games. When we start getting what we want, what we’ve worked so hard for, the nasty voices start whispering, “This great new job, this great new friend, this great new lover -- is a fluke! I’m faking it! Everyone is going to find out I’m a fraud! I don’t know what I’m doing!” And all of a sudden you're playing the Imposter Game and freaking yourself out.

People! Get out of the Imposter Game! Come on now! You got yourself there. You know what you’re doing! Faking it is part of doing something new. You think you weren’t faking it the first time you rode a bike? The first time you gave a book report? First time you kissed somebody? Faking it is part of doing something new, it’s how you get yourself rolling! Then you discover you do know what you’re doing. So you got yourself into a fancy new situation. Good for you! Now shut that nasty voice in your head up and get back to work.

More on the Imposter Game and other Head Games can be found in my book, “Get Out of the Game with Sandra O’Day!”

I look forward to hearing your stories of immense personal struggle, and will continue to inspire you .

No comments: