Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lay Low -- Part One

An e-mail from an O-Dayer:

Dear Sandra,
I hate February. It’s dark and gloomy, cold and rainy – and nothing is happening for me business-wise. I didn’t get a raise or a bump in my bonus this year, but at least I wasn’t laid off like half the people at my firm. Every new project I try to initiate gets crushed by the higher-ups. And to top it all off, I’m single and I’ll have to endure Valentine’s Day alone next week. Any advice to help me out of this funk?
-Funky Biz Dude

Dear Funky,
Usually I’d lambaste you for being a complainer, but I think it’s more than that. I think you’re in a Lay Low.

A Lay Low is a period of time where no matter what you try, you can’t make anything happen. You can make all the right moves, you can do everything perfectly right, and nothing will seem to move forward. You’re like a kitten mewing at a door or a baby screaming in the crib. All the wind in your body won’t change the way things are.

Here’s the number one thing to remember about a Lay Low -- at some point it will end. Nothing lasts forever, not even a Lay Low.

I’m going to spend the next few postings going over the ins and outs of Lay Lows. In the meantime, if you think you might be in the middle of a Lay Low like our friend Funky, drop me a line.

You can e-mail me at PowerofSandra@aol.com

I look forward to hearing your stories of immense personal struggle, and will continue to inspire you .

No comments: