Monday, February 11, 2008

Lay Low -- Part Three

Wow! Seems like a whole lot of you O'Dayers are in a February Lay Low! Hang in there -- it won't last forever! Here are a few FAQs about Lay Lows:

Q: What is a FAQ?
A: A frequently asked question.

Q: What is a Lay Low?
A: A Lay Low is a period of time when you can’t make anything happen. (Read the two previous posts.)

Q: How long does a Lay Low typically last?
A: On average, two weeks to five months. However, Lay Lows are as varied as the people who experience them. Some Lay Lows may be an intense five days, others may float in and out for a couple of years.

Q: What should I do when I’m in a Lay Low?
A: Relax. Catch up on your reading. Go to the gym. Take a vacation. A Lay Low is a time to rest and fill up on new ideas. Lay Lows are a perfect time to read Sandra O’Day books or invest in an O’Day Workshop.

Q: I’m in the middle of a Lay Low right now and I feel like I’m falling apart. I want to bust out of my skin and run away, but I can’t. Any words of wisdom?
A: Change your you when you can’t change your where.
Q: What does that mean?
A: When you can’t change where you are you can change how you react to where you are.
Q: Can you give me an example?
A: Sure! While I was incarcerated I was sent to solitary confinement and I almost lost my mind. I discovered banging my head against the cement wall wouldn’t change anything, but it would cause hearing loss. Once I adjusted my reaction to where I was, I found a useful way to pass my time. I wrote my first book in solitary, “O’Dayisms.”

You can e-mail me at PowerofSandra@aol.com

I look forward to hearing your stories of immense personal struggle, and will continue to inspire you .

No comments: